Food ordering platform FoodHub reported a 10% increase in takeaway orders during England’s 2022 World Cup fixtures, with over half of Brits saying they preferred to watch the football at home.
Analyses of online orders across the five games that England played before they were knocked out revealed pizza was footy fans’ favourite takeaway (19%) with fried chicken (10%) and a Chinese takeaway (9%) rounding off the top three.
Emma Stockman, a spokesperson for Foodhub, said: “It’s great to see that people enjoyed a takeaway treat while watching the tournament. We ran a recent study which showed that over half of the UK (56%) agrees that watching football is better with food, so we’re thrilled they chose to use Foodhub to order their football feast.
“We may not have brought it home this year, but it was a fantastic tournament and we’re so proud of our national team!”
- Survey reveals which city can handle the spiciest curry
- Foodservice price inflation falls for a third consecutive month
- Just Eat calls for government to do more to tackle plastic waste
- Rise in active leisure tourism benefits hospitality sector
- Former chip shop owner banned after admitting to food hygiene offences