The FIFA World Cup 2022 kicks off in Qatar on November 20th, with the final taking place on December 18th. With a little bit of forward planning, your business could be celebrating a win too
This year marks the first ever World Cup to be played during winter. The reason for the shift to November and December is because host nation Qatar can see temperatures hit 50°C during the summer. At the later end of the year, it’s likely to be a more comfortable mid-20s.
While the players sweat it out on the pitch, takeaways could be picking up valuable sales with these tips:
1. Put up some flags, bunting or some football shirts to show customers you are supporting the tournament.
2. Familiarise yourself with the kick-off times of key games so you have enough staff on at the right times – including delivery drivers. Encourage customers to come in ahead of the game by offering a discount. To drive deliveries offer an online only promotion.
3. Items like burgers and sausages always go well with football so put on a meal deal that encompasses everything a fan needs, including a drink.
4. Put together sharing platters for families and friends watching the game together at home using pizza boxes and include low cost, high profit items such as sausages, halloumi sticks, onion rings etc. Promote your offers ahead of the game on a board outside your takeaway as well as online.
5. Theme your menu in line with the countries that are playing or run a promotion on specific items e.g. pizza when Italy is playing.
6. If you sell alcohol, let customers know! No-one wants to run out of beer, and alcohol sales can really help increase profits.
7. Engage with customers by running competitions on social media e.g. ask them to predict the score or who will score first. You could even offer 10p off a portion of chips per goal scored during a certain game.
8. If you’ve got some room, why not bring in a table football for customers waiting and start your own mini-cup?
9. Use your database and promote your offers early. If you have a loyalty scheme, why not offer double points during the World Cup to encourage customers to order from you? You can also create a unique offer just for loyalty card members.
10. Involve staff by doing a sweepstake internally with a cash prize or even a day off for the winner.
- Top 10 time for Fish & Chip Takeaway of the Year 2024
- National Fish and Chip Day 2024 brought forward to honour 80th Anniversary of D-Day
- The Scottish chippy swapping chips for toys this Christmas
- Consumers loosen purse strings on high tempo occasions – but quality and atmosphere is key
- Falling foodservice inflation now a clear trend