Five fish and chip shops have featured in FOODit’s Independent Takeaway Awards 2019.
The restaurant website builder, part of JJ Foodservice, presented 10 awards covering categories such as the Most Unique Dish and Most Popular Takeaway. New this year are the Best Vegan Menu and People’s Choice categories.
Judges were particularly impressed with Hirds Family Fisheries in Halifax, Leeds, which won ‘Most Unique Dish’ for its deep fried chorizo and pesto sauce. Meanwhile, voters in Bursledon, Southampton, took to Facebook to vote for Lowford Fish Bar to win the ‘People’s Choice’ Award.
There were also accolades for The Chip Inn, Whitwell, Nottinghamshire (Most Highly Recommended Takeaway), Seagull Fish Bar, Birmingham (Best Seafood Takeaway) and The Marina Restaurant, Skegness, Lincolnshire (People’s Choice - new customer).
Winners each receive framed certificates, £50 to spend on FOODit marketing, free coffee training with Lavazza Coffee and Gold Winner Stamps to add to their website.
All winners have a five-star Food Hygiene Rating and use the FOODit online ordering platform.
Richard Bradshaw, head of operations, said: “We want to say a massive well done to our takeaway customers who work tirelessly to serve great-tasting food, market themselves online and maintain the highest levels of service and food hygiene standards.
“Fish and chip shops did particularly well in the awards this year – the winning chippies have been great at promoting themselves, particularly across social media, to engage with their customers. This is where independent outlets really have a competitive advantage over chains – they can be more personal, more responsive; and the results are clear to see – a dedicated, loyal customer following.”
Winners are judged based on data from the past 12 months. The 'Most Unique Dish' is judged by the FOODit Judging panel and the 'People's Choice' Awards are based on surveys conducted in December 2018.
The full list of winners is as follows:
• Most Popular Takeaway – Rawcliffe Pizzeria, Goole
• Best Curry Takeaway – Wuli Wuli, Camberwell
• Most Unique Dish – Hirds Family Fisheries, Halifax
• Most Highly Recommended Takeaway – The Chip Inn, Whitwell
• Best Pizza Takeaway – Edlington Grill, Doncaster
• Best Vegan Menu – Cedar Lebanese Restaurant, Wimbledon
• Best Seafood Takeaway – Seagull Fish Bar, Birmingham
• Best Noodle Takeaway – New Ruby, Belvedere
• People’s Choice (existing customer) Lowford Fish Bar, Southampton
• People’s Choice (new customer) The Marina Restaurant, Skegness