The 20 best restaurants for eat-in fish and chips have been revealed by Seafish.
Based throughout the country, they are:
· Catch Fish and Chips, Giffnock, Glasgow
· Chesters. Chesterfield, Derbyshire
· Fish City , Belfast
· Hanbury’s Famous Fish & Chips, Babbacombe, Devon
· Knights Fish Restaurant, Glastonbury, Devon
· Malt and Anchor, Cirencester, Gloucestershire
· Murgatroyds, Leeds, West Yorkshire
· Quayside Restaurant and Fish Bar, Gourdon, Aberdeenshire
· Salt & Malt, Chew Valley, Bristol, Avon
· Seafresh Restaurant, Pimlico, London
· Something Else Fishy, Milborne Port, Somerset
· The Cods Scallops, Nottingham, Nottinghamshire
· The Crispy Cod, Gelli, Pentre, South Wales
· The Elite Fish & Chip Company, Sleaford, Lincolnshire
· The Fishermans Wife, Whitby, North Yorkshire
· The Harbour Restaurant, Plymouth, Devon
· The Scallop Shell, Bath, Avon
· Trenchers Restaurant, Whitby, North Yorkshire
· Welcome Stranger, Bodmin, Cornwall
· Whetherby Whaler, Guiseley, West Yorkshire
The shops are all semi-finalists in The Best Fish & Chip Restaurant category of the 2019 National Fish & Chip Awards.
To reach this stage of the competition, each restaurant has been carefully assessed against a wide variety of judging criteria, including menu development and innovation, responsible sourcing policies, staff training and development and marketing and promotional activity.
Judges will now make visits to each of the restaurants for mystery dining assessments and whittle down the shortlist to a top five. These will then receive further in house judging which will decide the national winner.
Marcus Coleman, chief executive at Seafish, said: “The best Fish and Chip Restaurant category is a celebration of the highest quality fish and chip restaurant dining experiences in the UK. The industry is perhaps better known for its take away shops; however this category rewards the restaurants that are serving delicious fish and chips as a core menu offering, providing customers with not only a delicious portion of fish and chips, but an excellent dining experience. We have 20 exceptional candidates in the semi-final shortlist and we wish them all good luck in the next round of judging.”
Alan Pearce, field sales manager at award sponsor Goldensheaf, added: “This category rewards businesses committed to providing the highest standard of fish and chip dining experience, coupled what a drive to constantly improve standards and diversify their offering. We congratulate the 20 restaurants in reaching the semi-final and wish them the best of luck in the rest of the competition.”
The winner of the Fish and Chip Restaurant of the Year Award will be announced at The National Fish & Chip Awards’ 31st anniversary ceremony in London on 24 January 2019.