A fish and chip shop owner from Oldbury, West Midlands, has been jailed for eight months for persistently breaching hygiene regulations.
Paul Kandola, owner of Angelo’s, was given numerous chances by inspectors to improve conditions at the chippy between November 2014 and October 2015, when the shop was finally shut down.
Inspectors found dirty equipment, floors and walls, a “disgusting” toilet which opened directly onto the food preparation room, a grease-laden microwave and a lack of hot water for hand washing. On separate visits water was seen running down walls from a leak in the roof and a waste pipe was draining onto the kitchen floor.
Finding the chip shop boss guilty of 22 food hygiene offences, the judge at Wolverhampton Crown Court said: “You just needed to roll up your sleeves and do some cleaning, but simply carried on putting your customers at risk.”