Editor's Articles

Sizing up for signage

Whether you own or manage your fish and chip shop or restaurant, as you operate from commercial premises, you will have some signage to encourage your customers to come in. Here, Wrapped takes a look at how to help protect the investment you’ve made into the signs you have to showcase your business.

In ever more technological times, signage is becoming increasingly advanced, including specialist lighting and digital features. Making sure that your insurance policy covers your signage, and that it reflects any changes to the signage you have at your shop or restaurant, is essential to remaining covered in the event of loss or damage.

Sizing up your signage
If you own the buildings in which you operate your fish and chip shop or restaurant, you’re likely to have taken out cover for your property. This will include the structure of your building and any permanent fixtures and fittings, plus the contents within it. You’ll probably have included some other covers within your policy, too, such as frozen foods, business interruption and liabilities.

If you rent your property, your landlord should have insurance to cover the buildings, and your business insurance policy will likely include your contents, as well as any other covers you’ve added.

If you’ve taken out cover for your buildings, this may include your signage. This will vary, though, depending on your insurer and the policy you have taken out. So, it’s important to check that your signage is covered and to provide a list of the signage at your premises, together with values, to your insurer. This is even more important if you rent your shop or restaurant and so don’t have property insurance, or if the signage is not directly attached to or located on your property.

Signage within your premises should also be listed, and this internal signage will more likely be included as contents. This may include removable signs on walls or doors, or digital displays used for your menus.

Keeping your cover up-to-date
As your business grows, you may choose to update your signage. Any significant changes to your fixtures and fittings should also be communicated to your insurer, who can make sure you have adequate cover in place. This means that, in the event of accidental damage, vandalism or theft, damage to your signage should be covered, allowing you to repair or replace it.

For information about Wrapped Insurance from Ryan’s or a free no obligation quotation, talk to the Ryan’s team today. Tel: 0800 093 3018
Email: wrapped@ryans.co.uk or visit www.ryans.co.uk/wrapped


Doing it digitally

In just under three months, HMRC will close its online VAT return filing for registered businesses and only accept returns sent using software that supports Making Tax Digital for VAT. Are you ready for the transition?

Trends 2019

As 2018 comes to a close, it’s time to take a look at the trends that are likely to influence the fish and chip industry during 2019

Spot checks

Trading Standards officers are increasingly carrying out spot checks to ensure shops are abiding by the law when it comes to catering for customers with food allergies

Secure your shop

Security risks come in all shapes and sizes and, for your fish and chip shop, making sure suitable security measures are in place can mean the difference between sink or swim

Averting allergy risks

With a growing number of people suffering from food allergies, many restaurants and takeaway outlets are looking to their insurers to make sure they are covered against liability claims

Coping with Christmas

Christmas can bring challenges for fish and chip shops but if you prepare now you can enjoy the celebrations